Friday, May 18, 2007

It's been a while... time for NIN

Haven't posted in a while. Found something interesting I thought I would share from Nine Inch Nails' website per Trent Reznor (My bold emphasis):
As the climate grows more and more desperate for record labels, their answer to their mostly self-inflicted wounds seems to be to screw the consumer over even more. A couple of examples that quickly come to mind:

* The ABSURD retail pricing of Year Zero in Australia. Shame on you, UMG. Year Zero is selling for $34.99 Australian dollars ($29.10 US). No wonder people steal music. Avril Lavigne's record in the same store was $21.99 ($18.21 US).
By the way, when I asked a label rep about this his response was: "It's because we know you have a real core audience that will pay whatever it costs when you put something out - you know, true fans. It's the pop stuff we have to discount to get people to buy."
So... I guess as a reward for being a "true fan" you get ripped off.
ANd if you're a fan of Reznor and not a fan of the current music industry, you'll probably enjoy his most recent interview with Australia's Hearld Sun.

Have to say, I miss the days of spending hours at the music shop browsing for tunes. It's hard finding a good quality album that hasn't been rushed with one or two singles marketed and pushed while the rest is less than so-so. Regardless, I bet NIN's August 22, 2007 show will be more than amazing. What a line up.

2 Comments:

Blogger ShamWOW! said...

I haven't bought a CD in two years, and that was on an indie label. I steal all my music now. If I want to support a band I'll go see them live. The record companies? Screw them. Music will ALWAYS be recorded and distributed, even if very little money is made on it. Why? The bands need to distribute their music so people will know about them and come see them on tour.

Sat Jun 02, 12:24:00 AM 2007  
Blogger grs said...

You should check out the whole interview in the Herald Sun. I think Mr. Reznor is really onto something:

Given all that, do you have any idea how to approach the release of your next album?

I've have one record left that I owe a major label, then I will never be seen in a situation like this again. If I could do what I want right now, I would put out my next album, you could download it from my site at as high a bit-rate as you want, pay $4 through PayPal. Come see the show and buy a T-shirt if you like it. I would put out a nicely packaged merchandise piece, if you want to own a physical thing. And it would come out the day that it's done in the studio, not this "Let's wait three months" bulls---.


Now I'm not "that guy" who buys concert Tee's. But I've bought many a CD off a crappy card table or from the back of a van at shows from bands I like even if I already own it. I'm amazed at how receptive artists are when you ask for a signature at a show on a freshly bought CD. I like owning a bands CD/album.

I like the artwork on CD's. I like the liner notes. I like reading the "speacial thanks" and seeing who name drops and who really is just thanking people. Maybe that's just me.

Sat Jun 02, 01:59:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home