Friday, April 07, 2006

Cheney's Aide Says President Approved Leak



From the NY Times.

My question: Why? Why did the president declassify and leak the info? Why has he let this whole charade continue for SO long at the taxpayers' GREAT expense?

  • President Bush, Sept. 30, 2003:

    "Let me just say something about leaks in Washington. There are too many leaks of classified information in Washington. There's leaks at the executive branch; there's leaks in the legislative branch. There's just too many leaks. And if there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of."

    "Listen, I know of nobody — I don't know of anybody in my administration who leaked classified information. If somebody did leak classified information, I'd like to know it, and we'll take the appropriate action. And this investigation is a good thing.
    "

  • Scott McClellan White House Press Secretary, Oct. 10, 2003:

    "The President has made it very clear that the leaking of classified information is a serious matter, and he takes it very seriously. That's why he is saying that we need to get to the bottom of this, and the sooner, the better."

  • July 11, 2005: On the leak investigations:

    "No one wants to get to the bottom of it more than the president of the United States."


  • UPDATE: More from the NY Times after McClellan's briefing. I watched the briefing. I really hope the media keeps pushing on this. No one actually asked THEE question though: Why?

    I'm kind of amazed that the transcript isn't up yet on the White House's website.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home